Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Juxtaposition

Something as simple as a brief walk through the surrounding area can help you understand what Modern Kathmandu is all about...
  The stunningly beautiful, vibrant colors of a small Buddhist temple/monastery. Complete with street dog & motorcycle. 
 (This dog walked right into my shot, then stood still, looking straight at me until I put down my camera. Obviously he found himself of critical importance to my representation of Nepal. I'm bound to agree.)



The Buddhist temple itself, bearing both prayer flags and graffiti. Although I have no way of knowing what the tagger meant by scrawling "Phoenix" on that particular wall, I've chosen to believe it was due to an uncontrollable moment of hope that the tagger - and all of humanity - will rise again in a new existence, possibly one that does not carry the burdens of our current life. (Either that or commiseration with the state of Arizona over the extreme summer heat.)
This, to me, says Kathmandu. A piece of trash, a post-consumer cob of corn, and wildly growing flowers. No matter how many times I look at it, for me, the flowers dominate, but the trash... it is sometimes sad, sometimes heartbreaking, sometimes defiant (don't ask how trash can be defiant, it just can), sometimes it is just what it is - un-self-conscious. 


 A simpler message. Chairman Mao said that religion is the opiate of the masses. However, a house this size flying prayer flags reminds us that spirituality - a gentle acknowledgment that we are part of a larger whole - that belongs to everyone. (And let's face it: we could all use an opiate now and then...)






I know that they're holy. I know they always have the right of way when crossing (or lying in) the street. I did not know it was an option to drag one down the street on a leash. Must not be a Hindu cow?








I set out to take a picture of a field of corn growing just centimeters (no inches allowed in Nepal) from the busiest road in the Valley. Due to the traffic, I tried to get the picture as soon as the truck (stage left) passed by. Unbeknownst to me, the young man on the back of a bicycle (that I could not see because of the truck) saw me & waved at the exact right moment. When I saw this picture, I looked up, and he was turned around on the bike smiling at me. Highlight of my day!
 
Don't know what the ad is for. Don't think country music sensation Taylor Swift knows she's advertising mystery Nepali product in a foreign language. DO think this is the best way to wrap up today's theme. Special note: this banner is almost directly across the street from the Buddhist temple. 






Yes. That's Modern Nepal.

No comments:

Post a Comment